Research shows that women over age 40 experience more sleep-deprived nights than most women in their 20s. As many as 61% of postmenopausal women report suffering from insomnia. (National Sleep Foundation) How can I get a good night’s rest through menopause if I’m constantly waking throughout the night?
Our bodies naturally create less estrogen and progesterone as we age into menopause. Both estrogen and progesterone help encourage sleep. Decreasing hormone levels can cause a variety of sleep-depriving symptoms, such as:
- Hot flashes are experienced by approximately 75-85% of menopausal women and can last for as long as three minutes at a time. (NSF)
- Night sweats – menopause can raise your body temperature by as much as two degrees. Waking up drenched in sweat
- Family concerns – teenage children, grown children, grandchildren, no child is ever outside their mother’s mind.
- Stress – Work responsibilities, personal finances, relational stress, long-term planning towards retirement, and even personal health concerns can keep any mind racing ‘round the clock.
The effect of sleep deprivation carries fatigue, irritability, anxiety, and difficulty concentrating throughout the next day. Thankfully, there are several natural and prescribed solutions to help you safely and effectively rest easy throughout menopause.
- Lower the temp: The ideal sleeping temperature for women suffering from hot flashes and night sweats is 65 degrees.
- Limit caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol intake: Don’t drink caffeinated or alcoholic beverages within three hours of sleep. For your overall health, quit smoking.
- Increase your exercise routine: Don’t have an exercise routine? Now’s a great time to start one! If you’re already exercising, consider a balance of aerobic and weight-resistance at least three hours before sleep to trigger your body’s rest and recovery process.
- Eat better: Eating a small bedtime snack high in carbohydrates and low in protein can help stimulate tryptophan, the sleep-inducing amino acid.
Hormone therapy is another excellent way to help you enjoy a good night’s sleep throughout menopause. Our ReVital care team put together a FREE eBook available for immediate download here to help you learn more about our different types of hormone replacement therapy for women. Download your FREE eBook and schedule your next appointment today.