The holiday season is a great time to connect with family, especially our cute grandbabies if they’re around. It’s also a very easy time to let our eating habits fall to the wayside. Thankfully, research proves that the average U.S. adult gains only one pound throughout the holidays. Thank goodness!
What may be more concerning is that many adults gain over one pound a year as we age. (LiveStrong) Gradually adding body weight can cause serious health risks and complications over time. According to the U.S. Office of the Surgeon General, being only 10 to 20 pounds overweight can increase your risk of developing diabetes or heart disease. (CDC) Women who gain over 20 pounds after age 18 are also twice as likely to develop postmenopausal breast cancer.
As we age into menopause, our decreasing hormone levels can make it even harder to maintain a healthy lifestyle free of extra inches and pounds. Changing a dress size in our 20’s may be more easily accepted, especially if it means our bodies are maturing into full womanhood, but it becomes less appreciated into our 50’s and even 60’s with a slower metabolism.
There are a few simple changes we can instill to help our metabolism transition into menopause. Follow these five tips to keep your scale and waistline inches from getting much higher:
- Limit alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine. A glass of wine or cup of coffee is perfectly acceptable on occasion, but now is the time to quit smoking.
- Reduce processed carbohydrates from your diet. Pasta, rice, and white bread are all processed carbs that can add extra pounds over time.
- Get a good night’s rest. Insomnia is a documented side-effect of menopause and pushing your wake time can also place unnecessary stress on your metabolic state.
- Eliminate stress wherever possible. Thirty-three percent of adults who report as overeating or who follow unhealthy eating habits identify stress as the main reason for their behavior. (APA)
- Consider hormone therapy through ReVital.
Hormone therapy can be an excellent solution for women as we experience menopause. Our ReVital care staff created a FREE eBook available for immediate download here to help you learn more about our different varieties of hormone replacement therapy for women. Download your FREE eBook and schedule your next appointment today.